Tuesday 24 February 2015

Simply Suede...

Style Theory: In keeping with the 70s theme this season, suede is having a moment. Suede coats, short and midi suede skirts, dresses and accessories, it is time to welcome this soft and delicate fabric back into your wardrobe and add a 2015 twist by wearing your suede as bright and as bold as you dare...
Here are a few ideas of how to style:






Suede is a forgiving fabric worn as a skirt, the A-line shapes are extremely flattering on the legs but watch out for bold colour skirts if you are wider at the hip area as the bold colours can draw attention to these areas, if this is the case wear brown or black suede skirts and add your colour pop to your top. Wear suede skirts now with chunky polonecks, opaque tights and ankle/knee high boots and in the summer team with a white boho top and tan strappy sandals, an all year around winner...

Here are the best on the high street now...
Marks and Spencer Suede Skirt £199 (avail from May)
The skirt the fashion editors and celebrities are hailing as 'the' suede skirt of the season. A little on the pricey side but seeing as the likes of Alexa Chung (see above) and Olivia Palermo are fans it is worth having a look and trying on if you see one in store. The shape is super flattering with heels and the split takes it up a notch and away from a frumpy look.
Zara Long Suede Jacket £179
This suede coat is a 'grown up' style, layer up over a denim jacket, skinny leather ankle length trouser, stan smith trainers and a bright scarf for a touch of colour. In the summer throw over your denim dress, would look great with tanned legs and white pumps.
H&M Faux Suede Jacket £29.99
This jacket ticks this season's fringing and suede trend. Keep the rest of your outfit very simple to avoid detail overload, a grey tee, black skinny jeans and black pointed flat shoes would look gorgeous!
H&M Suede Skirt £99
This is a beautiful colour green, for the bolder of you out there clash with a hot pink/orange sweater and wear with black opaques and black shoes, throw a fur coat over for a real 70s vibe. If you are more reserved I would team with a navy cashmere sweater and brown knee high boots.
Asos A line Skirt £65
As above clash if feeling bold or team with black for a more subtle look.
Asos Wrap Skirt £65
A beautiful neutral skirt will go with all colours and be a hardworking item in your wardrobe.
Asos Fringe Wrap Pencil Skirt £75
A gorgeous statement skirt for a night out..I would keep the top simple and wear with a denim shirt and then put on a pair of gorgeous animal print shoes and a colour pop duster coat..outfit perfection!

If you would rather dip into the trend, the high street has some fab suede bags (and boots but that will be in a later post) I love the bright coloured ones as they will make a fashion statement but won't cost the earth and you don't have to squeeze yourself into them...
Warehouse Suede Bag £35
This is an amazing price for a suede bag, it also comes in a beautiful stone colour perfect for a more subtle approach to suede.
Topshop Suede Tassel Hobo Bag £65
Wear this with pinks, blues and greys..beautiful and retro with a modern twist.
Accessorize Suede Tote Bag £55
This is huge, you can fit everything in this bag and still look pretty cool! Real suede and again an affordable price.


MY STYLE:

Staying with the 70s theme that I am totally embracing, I resurrected my old Topshop denim skirt that I bought 5 years ago and mixed up some colours for a lovely lunch out with friends..
Coat: Zara
Shirt: J Crew
Skirt: Topshop
Bag: TK Maxx
Boots: Russell & Bromley
For a cold day, it was all about wool..!
Sweater: Boutique
Coat: M&S
Trousers: Zara
Trainers: Addidas
Bag: H&M
I really have my eye on that M&S skirt, it looks like such a perfect length and would be so useful for next winter too! What do you think of suede, is it your fabric of choice, do you have any suede skirts stored at the back of your cupboard you can wear this season?

As always I would love to hear your thoughts and comments, until next time, Frances xxx

8 comments:

  1. Mango also has a lot of faux suede for the s/s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a trend I just can't do - the feel of suede creeps me out! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was having a play with some of the suede fringed bags in Accessorize/Monsoon yesterday and they are lovely. I haven't given in to it yet though but I don't doubt it will just be a matter of time.

    Can't wait to see you in the M&S suede skirt as and when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spotted a few gorgeous suede bits today but biding my time until I decide what to purchase. The M&S skirt is beautiful isn't it. I expect it won't be around long...even at that price. Love how you've styled your denim skirt x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm more of a suede accessory kind of girl - I am a dirt magnet at the best of times, and the thought of spilling something on that gorgeous M&S skirt would terrify me! I could definitely go for a bag though, far less chance of me ruining that.

    Love you in those bold colours, the yellow coat is fabulous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Alexa in the a-line suede skirt....some fab inspiration here Frances! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do. An a line brown suede skirt in the loft somewhere. Doubt it will still fit but I'm going to get it out and try it on. Some great looks in this post. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a good coat collection - so so so jealous

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com